Wednesday 14 November 2018

What's new in Counseling in Grades 3 - 5

In Grades 4 -5 we just completed our unit on Growth Mindset. Students were asked to tune-in to the power of their self-talk to focus attention and tune out distractions, face challenges and influence how we feel about ourselves.  We practiced what "growth mindset self-talk" should sound like. Again, we returned to the idea of making neural pathways in our brain; if we have positive self-talk our automatic thoughts tend to be more positive which will lead to higher self-esteem and academic growth.

Additionally, we started to tackle the concept of self-advocacy.  In other words, knowing yourself as a learner, knowing what you need and how to get it. Do I need to talk to another peer who is an expert in tech because I'm struggling with getting graphics into my blog?  Do I need teacher help because I've tried every model I know but keep getting the wrong answer in math?  Do I need to talk to Mrs. Stone because I continue to have problems with one friend and I don't know what else to try? We emphasize that we want students to be able to speak up for themselves. It doesn't mean interrupting the class every time we have a need but it does mean diligently problem solving and then asking for help. It also means knowing when to say "no" and taking care of ourselves. I gave students the example of when I accompanied the G5 team to Melacca and the teachers asked students or teachers to carry large water bottles. I wanted to be a helper but I also knew that I have a very painful back so I had to say, "I'm sorry, but I can hold the door open for you."  I took care of myself knowing it wasn't okay to carry the load.

For Grade 5 the trip to Malacca was the perfect opportunity to practice our growth mindset skills. Soaring through the jungle on zip lines, becoming tightrope walkers and masters of swinging platforms the students (parents and faculty) faced many new adventures! Some of us were challenged to use positive self-talk as we faced fears and new experiences!

What's next in Grades 4 and 5? Problem solving! We will spend time unpacking the idea of problem solving using the STEP model 

Many of our students know about "I-Messages" but many of our new students may not so we will practice this as one of our strategies which helps with "S step - saying the problem without blame." 
For example: "I feel frustrated when you keep flipping my hat off. Please stop doing that." Have your kids practice this at home when they get into a conflict and see how it works!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts